DogForum.net | Dog Forums and Community
     
 
Home Gallery Blogs Register Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar Members List
Search
Go Back   DogForum.net | Dog Forums and Community > Dog Breeds > Mixed Breeds and Others

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread 02-27-2010, 04:54 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: western pa
Posts: 2

Rep: 10 big dogs rule is on a distinguished road
Unique Rep: 0
Default Great dane x english mastiff

just got the pup have had danes in the past just wondering if anyone has any experience with this cross

big dogs rule is offline  
Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2010, 08:18 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 304

Rep: 16 Vambo is on a distinguished road
Unique Rep: 5
Default

Welcome to Dog Forums.


How can anyone have experience with this? It's not like having an established breed with solid characteristics that pass from the parents to the offspring. With this you have no idea what is what any more.

In general I suppose it will be a big dog. Beyond that you're doing nothing more than guessing.

Not to put a damper on it, I am sure it's a nice dog regardless. But you can't toss two things together that have no history and expect to know what will come of it. Could be that the bone structure that is already known for problems breaks down under the addition of the weight of the Mastiff traits. Joint problems, are known in both breeds so expect serious problems with his joints.

No responsible breeder would breed Danes and Mastiffs together.

OK lecture over.

I've read that lowering concentration of positively charged electrolytes in the diet can help to reduce the joint laxity and reduce hip dysplasia in growing dogs. So something you might want to investigate with your Vet is diet. Getting that started now may help down the road.

Vambo is offline Vambo's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2010, 09:37 PM   #3
Forum Director
 
JGLI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 8,337

Rep: 79 JGLI will become famous soon enough
Unique Rep: 42
Default

I think the mix of these two breeds is called a "Daniff" and a google search will provide more information on what you might expect your dog to be like:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/d/daniff.htm
__________________
Help us Help you! Read and understand the Terms of Service, report offensive posts and Forum Reputation.
Helpful Tips - in our FAQ Section and Newbie Guide.
Connect with DogForum.org members - Add yourself to the dogforum.net member map.chat with us!
Things to do - Start a blog. Be sure to visit the DogForum.net photo gallery Let's see YOU!
Use your computer to benefit mankind - join the DogForum.org Folding Team.

JGLI is offline JGLI's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 06:26 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: moree nsw australia
Posts: 2

Rep: 10 mrtickle is on a distinguished road
Unique Rep: 0
Default

actually vambo i think alot of people will have experience with this mixed breed. i have been sucessfully hunting and breeding dane x mastiffs now for twelve years and have had no problems with joints or hip displacia. addmittingly both breeds as a pure breed can be plagued with these problems, i tend to think this is more the fault of the breeders and owners then the breed itself. all dogs known for joint problems need a good exercise regime when theyre growing and also adequate bedding whilst in the growing stage. so big dogs rule, i'm not sure what you bought your dane mastiff for or what you intend to do with him but i would advise a steady excersise regime and good soft bedding for the first two years. vambo, for you to say that no responsible breeder would cross these two breeds is naive, you obviously have no experience in hunting. this would be the second most common breed used for pig hunting in australia and i would consider myself a very responsiblw breeder. i have sold at least 200 of these cross breeds now to members of the hunting fraternity and have not heard of a single problem, contrary to this i have recieved loads of good feedback about the dogs health and performance
it is worth noting that the great daner was actually bred originally for use hunting wild pig and has a natural ability to tracvk these animals via scent, the breed has however lost some of its tenacity due to poor breeding practices and breeding for the show ring rather then the breeds initial purpose, which was hunting. this is the reason so many people a passing some mastiff into the blood now , to give the dog more heart and holding power, and to make it once again a suitable choice for hunting aggressive animals such as wild boars

mrtickle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 08:22 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 304

Rep: 16 Vambo is on a distinguished road
Unique Rep: 5
Default

Welcome to Dog Forums mrtickle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickle View Post
actually vambo i think alot of people will have experience with this mixed breed.
Maybe. But unless you create a line from a well known gene pool, you're shooting in the dark.

Quote:
i have been sucessfully hunting and breeding dane x mastiffs now for twelve years and have had no problems with joints or hip displacia. addmittingly both breeds as a pure breed can be plagued with these problems, i tend to think this is more the fault of the breeders and owners then the breed itself.
Correct me if I'm wrong but breeding a dog with hip problems to a dog with hip problems is likely to result in dogs with hip problems. This is understood correct? I can't rule out that you have had great fortune in breeding these dogs, but I have to say that over 200 dogs prone to these ailments without a single incident over their life span is not only an incredible feat but also one of above and beyond record keeping. What abnormalidies and health problems have surfaced in your operation?

Quote:
all dogs known for joint problems need a good exercise regime when theyre growing and also adequate bedding whilst in the growing stage. so big dogs rule, i'm not sure what you bought your dane mastiff for or what you intend to do with him but i would advise a steady excersise regime and good soft bedding for the first two years.

Quote:
vambo, for you to say that no responsible breeder would cross these two breeds is naive, you obviously have no experience in hunting.
I stand by that. Anyone can put two dogs in a pen and breed them. It's not a question of could they but rather should they?

Quote:
this would be the second most common breed used for pig hunting in australia and i would consider myself a very responsiblw breeder.
Except it is not a breed. Where is the stable genetic footprint? Where is the recognition of this mix within a recognized regulating body?

Quote:
i have sold at least 200 of these cross breeds now to members of the hunting fraternity and have not heard of a single problem, contrary to this i have recieved loads of good feedback about the dogs health and performance.
Perhaps you have, but it's anicdotal.

Quote:
it is worth noting that the great daner was actually bred originally for use hunting wild pig and has a natural ability to tracvk these animals via scent, the breed has however lost some of its tenacity due to poor breeding practices and breeding for the show ring rather then the breeds initial purpose, which was hunting. this is the reason so many people a passing some mastiff into the blood now , to give the dog more heart and holding power, and to make it once again a suitable choice for hunting aggressive animals such as wild boars
I have to say I disagree with that methodology in breeding. It's my position that a strict adherence to breed and selecting only those with the qualities that are desired for the purpose bred animal should be used in any breeding regime. Thus making the breed stronger and suitible for the use intended. Granted much of the breeding that has gone on is and was with an eye towards looks rather than function which in my opinion has cause much of the health problems we see in pure bred animals today.
This should not take away the want for a better bred pure breed dog. That I submit is the challenge rather than simply crossing two breeds and creating an "also ran".

Vambo is offline Vambo's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 04:22 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Wiltshire, UK
Posts: 1,248

Rep: 29 vixen is on a distinguished road
Unique Rep: 13
Default

if you don't health test breeding is pointless and wrong, weather it a cross or not, exspeshaly 2 large breeds.

They can't hunt if there hips give out.
__________________

Owned by
Max the dog
Lex, Titch, Tallie and Trio the ferrets
Foxy the gerbil
Rio the leopard gecko

I've been kissed
"I've got the do you?" thanks sheplovr

vixen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2010, 07:19 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: moree nsw australia
Posts: 2

Rep: 10 mrtickle is on a distinguished road
Unique Rep: 0
Default

thanks for your reply vambo, though i still strongly disagree with several of your points. firstly the hips......... when you cross two breeds it is common for the problems associated with the two breeds to not be present in the resulting litter, through selectivr breeding i can honestly say i don't have a problem with hip displasia or joint problems in my dogs. also i can honestly say that i have had to date no "abnormalities or health problems in my operation to date"

as for the question should a person cross breed these two breeds i'd have to say you need to see the dogs work to truly understand my reasoning. my dogs and there ability to do what they do is my livelihood. it would not be in my best interests to breed dogs with problems or without the qualities which i seek.

it seems to me that your biggest problem with this breed pairing is that it is'nt a so called pure bred dog...............many a breed that we consider pure breeds are a culmination of selective cross breeding in the past. to let you know i am all for breeding pure breed dogs to enhance the gene pool for a stronger breed, and i also am a registered staffy breeder.(regrettably another breed prone to health problems due to poor breeding practices)

out of curiousity vambo, are you familiar at all with the australian bull arab........another cross bred dog purpose built for wild pig control.? the bull arab council of australia is currently in the process of creating a standard for this breed and registering as a breed in it's own right. personally i see far more inconsistancys in bull arabs then i do in my own dane x mastiff dogs, perhaps there not being bred quite as selectively as they need to be.

as for using a pure bred dog for it's intended purpose to breed a better bred dog.................believe me i've tried to hunt danes, they definantly can smell a pig from a mile away, however they lack the tenacity to lug and hold onto a larger animal. i have spoke to dozens of hunters and breeders and all make a similar observation.

i would say at the end of the day, especially were working dogs are concerned, breeding is measured by the succ ess and ability of the animal. i have people travel from all over the country to hunt there dogs against mine and as yet they havn't played second fiddle to another pack regardless of breed............how can this be irresponsible breeding?

mrtickle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2010, 08:30 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 304

Rep: 16 Vambo is on a distinguished road
Unique Rep: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickle View Post
thanks for your reply vambo, though i still strongly disagree with several of your points.
Always glad to discuss, and disagreement breeds discussion points so we're well off here I think.

Quote:
firstly the hips......... when you cross two breeds it is common for the problems associated with the two breeds to not be present in the resulting litter, through selectivr breeding i can honestly say i don't have a problem with hip displasia or joint problems in my dogs. also i can honestly say that i have had to date no "abnormalities or health problems in my operation to date"
Here's to your great luck thus far. What suitable documentation have you to back up your health claim? Genetic disturbances can show up anywhere down the line skipping a generation or two is not uncommon when dealing with negative traits. This flies in the face of your suggestiong that negative traits between two breeds are not presented in the resulting litter.

Quote:
as for the question should a person cross breed these two breeds i'd have to say you need to see the dogs work to truly understand my reasoning. my dogs and there ability to do what they do is my livelihood. it would not be in my best interests to breed dogs with problems or without the qualities which i seek.
I understand the reason behind the purpose bred animal. From experience, cur dogs are better bay dogs. This doesn't speak to health nor temperament of the purpose bread dog though. Simply that it is most effective at it's job. Where there is a problem with wild incursion, I can support a breeding program designed around that. Even with the health and temperament issues as long as they are managed humanely. "Sport" is a different horse altogether.

Quote:
it seems to me that your biggest problem with this breed pairing is that it is'nt a so called pure bred dog...............many a breed that we consider pure breeds are a culmination of selective cross breeding in the past. to let you know i am all for breeding pure breed dogs to enhance the gene pool for a stronger breed, and i also am a registered staffy breeder.(regrettably another breed prone to health problems due to poor breeding practices)
My biggest problem is that there is no shortage of dogs. Purebred or cur, far too many exist and suffer for it. Ther sole reason for that is no restriction breeding. I don't think there is a breeder who wouldn't say they are doing it for the betterment of something or other. None that will stop breeding for the betterment of dogs in general though.

Quote:
out of curiousity vambo, are you familiar at all with the australian bull arab........another cross bred dog purpose built for wild pig control.? the bull arab council of australia is currently in the process of creating a standard for this breed and registering as a breed in it's own right. personally i see far more inconsistancys in bull arabs then i do in my own dane x mastiff dogs, perhaps there not being bred quite as selectively as they need to be.
I have a limited understanding of them, but I suggest that those in the know about Bull Arabs and hunting dogs in general will tell you that backyard breeders are the ruination of them as they are or all other breeds. Should it become one downunder, last I hear a group was working to get it recognized in the US?

Quote:
as for using a pure bred dog for it's intended purpose to breed a better bred dog.................believe me i've tried to hunt danes, they definantly can smell a pig from a mile away, however they lack the tenacity to lug and hold onto a larger animal. i have spoke to dozens of hunters and breeders and all make a similar observation.
Which is of course where the mastiff enters the picture breeding wise. I get that idea and understand where the need for a Bull breed or mastiff is needed as catch dogs to add that ability to get ahold of the wild pig and pin it for the coup de grace.

There already are dogs that excell at hunting pig in both bay and catch roles. You know the list I bet. As a hunter you know or should, that some dogs just don't hunt. While they may have all the prerequisites needed, they just don't work as a hunting dog. I would go further to say that a good hunting dog is hard to come by. So it is that I have to question your assertion.

Quote:
i would say at the end of the day, especially were working dogs are concerned, breeding is measured by the succ ess and ability of the animal. i have people travel from all over the country to hunt there dogs against mine and as yet they havn't played second fiddle to another pack regardless of breed............how can this be irresponsible breeding?
172,559,000 plus dogs and counting. We kill millions of them each year because no one will take care of them. We don't need anymore dogs for anything.

Vambo is offline Vambo's Gallery  
Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2010, 02:42 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Wiltshire, UK
Posts: 1,248

Rep: 29 vixen is on a distinguished road
Unique Rep: 13
Default

Quote:

thanks for your reply vambo, though i still strongly disagree with several of your points. firstly the hips......... when you cross two breeds it is common for the problems associated with the two breeds to not be present in the resulting litter, through selectivr breeding i can honestly say i don't have a problem with hip displasia or joint problems in my dogs. also i can honestly say that i have had to date no "abnormalities or health problems in my operation to date"
do you hip score?
__________________

Owned by
Max the dog
Lex, Titch, Tallie and Trio the ferrets
Foxy the gerbil
Rio the leopard gecko

I've been kissed
"I've got the do you?" thanks sheplovr

vixen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2010, 04:51 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1

Rep: 10 lesafa is on a distinguished road
Unique Rep: 0
Default mastiff dane

I inherited a 60 pound, 3 month old puppy that a friend had to leave behind in a move. I was concerned about handling that large of a dog. I was so mistaken to be concerned, (I did train young for obedience). This has been the most gentle and loving dog I have ever owned.
He has been a handfull due to his size and exhuberance. I tought him young to not jump up on me or to shake his paw due to his his expected adult size. He is now 3 years old and continues to understand so much of what is expected of him with a few gentle words or just a look.
All of my friends and family have fell in love with this gentle giant.

Last edited by lesafa; 08-15-2010 at 05:27 PM.. Reason: grammer

lesafa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:26 PM.

Shogun Interactive Development Copyright 2006-2010 Shogun Interactive Development. All rights reserved.